Thursday 11 June 2015

I Spy Hilarity! My Review Of Paul Feig's SPY...

Say what you will, but when Melissa McCarthy teams up with Paul Feig, it’s comedy gold! For whatever reason, these two just get each other and it shows in everything they do together, usually bringing the laughs by the bucketful. And Spy is no exception.

What I liked about this film was both the chemistry of the cast and the fact that McCarthy isn't doing her regular old schtick. Sure, there are pratfalls and physical comedy throughout, but it’s different this time because McCarthy’s Susan Cooper isn't a one note character, bumbling through life and bordering on idiotic. She’s smart and capable and I really think that McCarthy shines when she’s playing these types of characters. (Those that are similar to the character she plays on Mike & Molly!). I hope she embraces these types of roles and just goes for it in the future. Not everyone of her characters needs to be a moron to be funny.

And seriously, Rose Byrne needs to do more comedy! Between this and last year’s hit, Neighbours, she more than proves that she’s not only sexy, but funny as hell. Of course, she also needs to play more bad guys because she’s just so good at it. Jude Law is great as the suave, but clueless James Bond knockoff, but was a bit underused in the film overall. Miranda Hart and Peter Serafinowicz are absolutely hilarious as a couple of CIA agents to round out the supporting cast. But let’s face it, Jason Statham absolutely steals the show in this one! His take on the macho, stereotypical secret agent is delightful and shows that the action star has great comedic timing, as well as no problem making fun of himself and the genre.

Overall, I had a great time with this film. I found myself laughing out loud on a number of occasions, and even if the plot was slightly generic, it was a great riff on the spy genre as a whole. I am actually going to say that I hope they make a sequel to this film, as I would love another opportunity to catch up with these characters and see what else they have in store for us. Another mission, anyone?


Spy      4/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment