Monday 25 May 2015

What A Lovely Day, Indeed! Review: Mad Max: Fury Road


Who would have thought that one of the most violent, yet visually stunning action films ever created would also have such an interesting, feminist voice?

I’m going to start off by saying that this review is going to be slightly spoilery. I am trying to make my reviews as spoiler free as possible, but with this film, it’s just not going to work. This film needs to be discussed… so, you've been warned! And really, if you haven't seen it yet, you absolutely should!

I will admit, going into this film, I really didn't know much about it. Sure, I had seen the trailers (which were amazing!), but honestly, they really weren't all that informative when it came to plot... and that’s okay. I don't need everything spelled out for me in a trailer. It has been years (decades?) since I've seen the original films, so I was unsure if that would make a difference or not. Believe me, it didn’t.

While his name is on the title card and Max is there physically, he takes a back seat the strong women in this film. And, I'm okay with that. Tom Hardy has a presence on screen that is undeniable, so his just being there adds so much, even though his character doesn't utter more than a handful of words throughout the entirety film. I am serious when I say that I would pay to watch Hardy read the phone book, because he is just so incredible. This is another multi-layered performance for Hardy, who is quickly becoming a chameleon, able to seamlessly become every character he portrays.

I really liked Nicholas Hoult’s turn as Nux, as well. I think that Hoult is a really good actor and I am glad that he is branching out and choosing roles that are interesting and innovative. Hoult brought a subtlety and vulnerability to a character that could have very easily been one-dimensional, and it was interesting to see his development over the course of the film. From bad guy zealot to sacrificing hero over the course of two hours is hard to pull off, but Hoult does it with such heart that it’s completely believable. 

But this film really is Charlize Theron’s. Rumors that Furiosa was the star of this film were absolutely true and she utterly shines. Her turn as this amazing character has us all clamouring for a film of her own and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. But she wasn't the only one to stand out in this film. The five wives, whose lives made up the main story arc of the plot, were all exceptional (as were the women from the Green Place). It's great to see strong women taking action and deciding to change the course of their lives. Far too often female characters spend their time needing to be rescued, especially in big action set pieces, so the change of pace feels revelatory… which it shouldn’t and is actually quite sad, but that’s a discussion for another day. In a film whose marketing campaign was all about carnage, it was surprising (in such a good way!) to see the main plot of the film revolve around women no longer content with being considered objects and actually doing something about it. Hopefully it will once again show the powers that be that, if done right, gender and age don't mean a thing when it comes to audience engagement. (I'm not holding my breath, however!)
        
Of course, no discussion of this film would be complete without discussing the visuals. Miller and his team went above and beyond when it came to this film, and it shows. His reliance on practical effects and stunts place this film head and shoulders above the rest. It’s visually stunning and mind blowingly over the top and probably one of the best action movies ever made. Note to everyone out there; this is how you do an action movie! (Are you listening Michael Bay?) Through the mayhem and carnage, I was never at a loss as to what was going on, nor was I ever confuse as to what I was looking at or how it happened. The chaos was orchestrated like a beautiful symphony, right down the crescendo at the end. It was visceral, dark and glorious. Kudos to George Miller for bringing his vision to life and for not letting it get hijacked and turned into what the studio wanted it to be.  

I highly recommend that you check it out, preferably on the big screen, where you can bask in its awesomeness. I cannot wait to check out both the black and white and silent cuts of the film that are rumoured to be on the Blu-Ray release, later this year. What a lovely day!


Mad Max: Fury Road                         4.75/5  

No comments:

Post a Comment