Monday 5 May 2014

Review: The Not-So-Amazing Spiderman....

Ooohhh, two blog posts in one day... apparently, I'm on a roll! :)



********SPOILER ALERT!!!!!********


In case you missed it, this review is going to contain spoilers. If you haven't seen The Amazing Spiderman 2 yet, turn back now... do not pass go... do not collect $200. If, you haven't seen The Amazing Spiderman 2 yet, and you don't care... then by all means, my friend, read on....


I'm going to be honest. I am not a huge fan of The Amazing Spiderman. While I found the movie okay, it just didn't grab me the same way that Sam Raimi's Spiderman movies did. I liked the original Spiderman and LOVED Spiderman 2 (the one with Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus). Of course, we won't discuss the train wreck that was Spiderman 3. But honestly, I think it was too early to reboot the franchise. Now, I understand, since it is Sony's only Superhero property, that they want to capitalize on it. I get it. Doesn't mean that I like it...

That being said, this movie did nothing to change my mind about the franchise. While it does have some redeeming qualities, overall, for me, they weren't enough to overcome the things that I felt were lacking.

So, on to the good... Visually, this movie is stunning! Everything is rich and full, and pops off the screen. I did see this movie in 3D, which is not my preference (it worked in regards to timing!), and some of the action scenes, where Spidey is swinging through the city, are fabulous. Although, there are a few too many for my tastes... but that's a bad, not a good...

Jamie Foxx, as Electro, looked amazing. The character itself is pretty fleshed out, for what he is and overall, I had no real problem with the story arc of Electro. The creepiness/craziness of Max Dillon made sense in the overall story, so I'm okay with that part as well. 

The mystery of Peter's parents, started in the first film, is, for the most part, brought to a close in this episode. It appears that Richard Parker was working on genetic research, looking for a cure for Norman Osborn. Realizing that Oscorp was planning on selling the research and technology for military purposes, he packed everything up, sent the files to a secret location and subsequently was murdered. Again, I'm okay with this... it took a long time to get there, but it works. 

And then, of course, there's the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. It leaps off the screen and is practically palpable in the theatre. These two have amazing sizzle when they're on the screen together... the relationship between Peter and Gwen is the glue that holds this whole thing together. And when she dies, because he can't save her, it really is heart-wrenching. I completely understand the choice to remove Mary Jane from this movie. While I do think, in part, their choice was due to the backlash from the Shailene Woodley hiring, I do also think that the inclusion of MJ would have thrown off the balance of Peter and Gwen's relationship. It will be interesting to see what kind of chemistry Andrew Garfield has with the actress that finally lands the part of MJ in the next movie. 

And speaking of Emma Stone, I am glad that Gwen Stacy wasn't, in either movie, nothing more than the damsel in distress. My one serious issue with the Sam Raimi's trilogy (aside from the mess that number 3 was!) was the fact that all Kirsten Dundst's Mary Jane did was get kidnapped and scream at the top of her lungs. IN ALL THREE MOVIES! That was all the character development there was. She screamed as the bad guy came towards her, waiting for Spiderman to save her. Gwen Stacy is not that type of gal. She's a no-nonsense, take charge kind of woman, and it's refreshing to see. That is of course, until she dies...

Now, on to the bad... This movie suffers from not truly knowing what it wants to be. For a Spiderman movie, there is an awful absence of the character throughout the film. I would estimate that Spidey is in only about 20% of the almost two and a half hour running time, leaving the rest as filler for the angsty Peter Parker. I'm all for character development and that, it's just that, isn't that what an origin story movie is for? Peter spends the entire movie either moping about breaking up and getting back together with Gwen, or the mystery of his parents life and death... Sound familiar? It should... it was basically the plot of the first film. 

My second issue is with the absolute waste of talent in how they used both Chris Cooper and Paul Giamatti. Yes, I know that Paul Giamatti and the Rhino will appear in either the next film, and especially in the Sinister Six movie that Sony is planning, but here he is nothing but a waste of everyone's time and energy. He shows up in a heist, where he gets arrested, only to show up as the Rhino in the end, after Peter is done grieving for Gwen and decides to don the spandex once more. And then the movie fades to black. That's it. About a total of 10 minutes and then it's done... Which is twice the amount of time the fabulous Chris Cooper gets as the aforementioned Norman Osborn. Waste of talent, big time!

And finally, I'm not exactly sure why they called this movie, The Amazing Spiderman... a better title might have been The Harry Osborn Show or The Evolution of The Green Goblin. While I had no problem with Dane Dehaan as Harry Osborn, in fact, I actually think he did an excellent job, the movie spent a great deal of time on the introduction and eventual downfall of the Osborn heir. I get that he's going to be the catalyst that brings the Sinister Six together, and that Sony is banking on the expansion of their franchise. I just wish, that overall, there was a little more Spiderman and a little less Sinister Six set up.

I'm sure that Sony is not happy with the $92M dollars that this movie made domestically in it's opening weekend. It didn't even top the opening weekend of the far superior Captain America: The Winter Soldier from last month. Given the numbers that Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel put up in their respective opening weekends last year, Sony has to be slightly concerned and rather disappointed. Especially given the films budget and all the money that they pumped into marketing. While I think that, when the overseas markets are factored in, the movie will be considered a modest success, I can't see it making a huge profit, given that it probably needs to make about $700M just to break even.

Right from the get go, I think this movie was at a disadvantage. It was way over-marketed by Sony and I think that people might have been leery or sick to death of it, having been beaten over the head with it for the last few months. It will be interesting to see what the second weekend box office numbers look like... word of mouth plays a big part in whether a movie stays or goes. Let's just hope, for Spidey's sake, that I'm the only one who wasn't enthralled with this latest instalment.

Below, find some links to my favourite review sites, AMC Spoilers, Jeremy Jahns and The Schmoes Know:

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=vZiWD5M4uKI&index=2&list=PLYNW0PN4_jrrILuvfws1zYComnO5n4nmJ    AMC Spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11BsNpng1k  Jeremy Jahns

http://schmoesknow.com/amazing-spider-man-2-review-by-the-schmoes/22120/  Schmoes Know 

No comments:

Post a Comment